Thursday, October 28, 2004

Food

So, Peanut Princess (you know who you are!) wanted to know what I ate in Israel. Here's what I had yesterday:

B-fast: Honey Nut Cheerios (the bee on the box looks different and they taste a little different, but still good and sweet) with 3% milk (no 2% here, just 1% and 3%) and an orange. The oranges in the market here are green. They aren't the gassed versions that we get in the US that are artificially made "orange".

Lunch: mozzarella cheese, olives, pickles, bread, tehina, tomato slices

Snacks: Fruit and sunflower seeds. Nescafe (I can't believe I like it!)

Dinner: Ok this was a little strange. Usually I have some kind of meat (no pork) with salads and cheese. Last night though, Yaacov and I went to a waffle "bar" near our apartment. They serve Belgian waffles with all kinds of toppings. I got a chocolate one and Yaacov got a white chocolate waffle. Imagine a waffle with all the depressions filled with chocolate sauce. It was served with ice cream (to cut the sweetness!) and whipped cream. I had no idea that we were going to have a major dessert for dinner. We both wanted to eat something really salty after our sugar explosion! It's a cute place, the waffle bar. It would be better for after dinner or a late night dessert.

Evening snacks: mozzarella cheese with tomatoes, basil, and balsamic vinegar.

So, I don't eat hummus everyday. (But it's in the fridge!)

2 Comments:

At 10/29/2004 5:01 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Did you have to have an adjustment period to the water or fruit and meat? Like they say don't drink the water in Mexico because it will make you sick. Is the water out of the faucet there the same quality as it is in the U.S.?

 
At 10/29/2004 5:20 PM, Blogger John said...

Nope, I've been eating fruit, drinking the water, and brushing my teeth from the tap since day 1. It's treated just like the water in the US. The water here tastes bad compared to the water in Chapel Hill. It has a lot more mineral content (hard water). So, it tastes kind of like beach water. Many folks here drink bottled water simply because it tastes better. It does funny things with your hair and leaves mineral deposits on the faucets. It also makes for more grime in the bathtub and shower. Imagine washing off the dirt and of course some of it doesn't rinse all the way down. Well, each time someone takes a shower more mineral deposits are left in the tub and lock in the dirt. So, you have to do a little more scrubbing than in NC.

I don't know what the status of the water supply is in Arab villages. Yaacov and I go to eat in an Arab town called Abu Gosh (long O) with his family all the time. I get a bottled Sprite there, but I haven't had any GI problems thus far (knock on wood!).

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home