Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Jerusalem Theater


Jerusalem Theater Posted by Hello
This is the home of the Jerusalem Centre for the Performing Arts. It is about a 5 minute walk from the apartment. It is a beautiful building. The hyperlink will take you to more detailed photos. I am working on taking photos at night. It's harder than daytime pictures because you have to be very still due to the length/amount of the exposure (is that right?). All I know is that I have more success with my daytime pictures. One of the cool things about living in Jerusalem is that you walk out of your apartment and fall right into "culture". Things are happening here all the time. It's just fun to sit and watch people live.

Today I went to the pharmacy and bought a Spira mosquito repellent refill. We plug it in at night to keep the mosquitoes away. There aren't very many mosquitoes, but here we have no screens on the windows. So, they can just fly right in. For some reason, the mosquitoes here hurt more when they bite and the bite site itch more too. ...and I am used to mosquitoes coming from North Carolina! Anyway, pharmacies here are multi-purpose places like in the US. The one around the corner from our apartment though is small and cute. When three people are in there, it's crowded! I asked for a refill in Hebrew. I guess my Hebrew was good enough because the lady working there gave me lots of advice. All I could catch was, "Yom tov"-- good day.

Tonight Yaacov and I went to a cute coffee shop on Emek Refaim. It's a fun, hip street with lots of cafes and shops. Afterwards, Yaacov went to a board meeting at the apartment building where he owns an apartment. I walked home. On my way home a soldier asked me for directions. It was the third time someone has asked me for directions here. I don't know if I pass for Israeli or if the person asking is in such need or hurry that they don't care. Either way, it's a little frustrating not being able to help folks.

The night is cool and wonderful. It's late (almost 11:00) but the lady that cleans the common areas in our apartment building is washing the floors. There has been a lot of sweeping followed by lots of splashing.

I really like it here.

1 Comments:

At 10/21/2004 3:25 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Hey John!!!! Sounds like things are going well over there. And I can't believe you ordered a refill of mosquito stuff in Hebrew and actually got what you asked for!!!! The pictures are all so pretty. I can't wait to come visit you!!!!! I miss you but I love your blog! Hey Yaacov! I love and miss you both!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home