Friday, October 29, 2004

Nag Champa (Smells like Home)

Moving to a new place makes you think about what makes a "home". Some people say, "Home is where the heart is." Well, my heart is in Jerusalem, Kings Mountain, Chapel Hill, Durham, and a few other places too!

For me, memories are revisited when I smell something related to that experience. My grandfather smelled sweet with Red Man or Levi Garrett chewing tobacco and spearmint gum. Every time I smell either of these things, I think of him. Few things smell as wonderful as the red clay earth of the piedmont of NC after a summer rain. The smell of chalk and play dough take me back to elementary school. (When I taught, I used dry erase markers and a different kind of dough.)

David Sutton introduced me to Nag Champa incense. Nag Champa is wonderful! I think that it repels mosquitoes, lifts your spirits, and makes you enjoy breathing!

You may like different smells and have memories associated with a particular scent. Share with us all via a comment below a smell or scent that brings about special thoughts for you.

I am making new scent memories. There is a huge jasmine vine that grows on an arbor in the front garden of our apartment building. It's not the Confederate Jasmine that we often see in NC. The vine has wound its way up the side of our apartment. Its little white flowers attract some bees during the day. At night, the flowers release an incredible fragrance that must be experienced to appreciate. Real jasmine is nothing like the bottled scents found in shops. The fragrance floats up and through our whole apartment. I know that long after we move away from this place, the smell of jasmine will take me right back to Radak St., Jerusalem.

1 Comments:

At 10/29/2004 5:50 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Scents that remind me of things:

Honeysuckle...I love how you can be outside doing whatever and all of a sudden catch the scent of honeysuckle growing. It's light and perfumy and makes you stop and appreciate the world. It reminds me of being a kid when I lived on a farm.

Shalimar perfume...My mother.

Peach scented Bath and Body Works Spray...The summer before I was a senior in college, and the beginning of the school year that I met John. It reminds of carefree summer fun.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home