Saturday, January 22, 2005

It's Sleeting!

I have been reading about the bad winter weather in N.C. all week. Well, we're finally getting a dose of our own here in Jerusalem. Now, it's been surprisingly rainy and cool here this winter. I thought that I was moving to the desert! Granted, I was swimming at the beach in the middle of November! It's easy to forget that though when you're cold.

Today we're having sleet showers. It has been really coming down. There has been some accumulation on the sidewalk, but for the most part it's been melting as fast as it's been coming down. There are a couple of snowflakes mixed in, but not much. There has even been thunder and lightening!

But it's cold though!

Our apartment doesn't have central heat. We have two small oil-filled radiators. The apartment is old and the windows are all single-pane. Basically, it's like having Saran Wrap over the windows! Actually, Saran Wrap probably would seal the air out better! In any case, we keep on our layers, wear socks and house slippers, and try to stay warm. There are two times that it's the worst. One is in the morning when you first get out of the bed and the other is anytime you need to go to the bathroom.

The bathroom facilities are in two separate rooms. One room is the shower and sink (tiny!) and another completely separate room is the toilet (even smaller!). We have an electric heater in the shower room to keep us from turning into popsicles when we get out of the shower. But there is no heat in the toilet. Both bathroom rooms have rather large windows compared to the size of the room. The windows open up to the utility porch with the washing machine and other odds and ends. They help our apartment from smelling too stinky!

Basically, the toilet stays COLD! Seriously, it's like being outside. Every time I sit down in there, it takes my breath away. Maybe a different kind of seat would help?...one that uses batteries to warm it up or something. I think that we're just going to keep going with what we have for now. Spring isn't too far away, I hope!

2 Comments:

At 1/22/2005 11:06 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

BRRRRR! I am sitting at home now and it's very cold outside. And reading this story makes me even colder! Bless your heart and your freezing tushie. I am going to go iron in a minute. I normally hate it but I know it will warm me up. I really miss you John!

 
At 1/22/2005 11:18 PM, Blogger Grizally said...

It's getting rather cold here in Ontario, Canada as well...I thought I just saw time freeze for a minute there...

LRDR

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home