Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Origami Therapy


There's a story that if you make a 1000 paper cranes that you will have a long and healthy life. I don't now if that is true. But I do know that making paper cranes is fun.

When I was working at the Museum of Life and Science (hey everybody!), I was working on a mathematics exhibit. In that project we were highlighting the math in the art of origami and other activities. I guess that's what got me thinking about these cranes.

Well, for the past couple of days I have been making about one crane a day. I am going to hang them up somewhere in the apartment as a growing art piece.

I would love to have some cranes from all over the place. So, if you read this blog and are ready for a little art therapy, make a crane and send it to me. The best instructions that I found on the web are at: http://www.sadako.com/howtofold.html. Do all of the folds except for the last part where you "blow out" the crane's body. That way it will stay flat and you can just put your crane(s) in a regular envelope. I'll "blow out" its body when it gets here. (Let me know if you need my address.)

You can make cranes from any kind of paper, but I've found that paper especially for origami is really top notch. It's already cut into a square and has a front and back. But you can make a crane from any square piece of paper. I think that it's easier to make a crane from a 6" x 6" piece of paper.

So, get folding! By the way, making a crane for the first time isn't easy. But you'll get the hang of it and will feel good.

1 Comments:

At 1/26/2005 8:04 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I will definitely try this! Where could I buy Oragami paper? Any ideas?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home