Thursday, January 27, 2005

Yes, We Have No Wax Paper...

We have no wax paper today...or tomorrow...or ever!

So, I was surfing the Martha Stewart website for ideas for our upcoming Valentine's Day party. I came across an idea where you place crayon shavings between sheets of wax paper and melt them with an iron. The result is pretty translucent pieces of paper. Then you can cut out hearts and other shapes to decorate for the holiday. What a fun idea! I went to the art store and bought crayons and an inexpensive sharpener. Then headed off to the supermarket to buy wax paper.

There ain't no wax paper.

I have looked all over Jerusalem. There just isn't wax paper here. People here are in love (and rightly so) with parchment paper or baking paper.

This is the thing. I think that I am "making do". It's kind of like living at camp. Where you hope in your next care package your mom will have sent you clean undies. In this case, I am hoping for wax paper. It would be different if I didn't know that there was such a thing as wax paper. Ignorance is bliss, right? But here I am in the Holy Land, the land of milk and honey, the promised land and I can't get WAX PAPER!

I know that they have it. I have purchased taffy candy here wrapped in wax paper. It's just not the clear kind. It has printing on it. But, I know that it's out there!

One more thing that I didn't know to bring. There will be a roll or wax paper in my suitcase when I come back to Israel.

Now, don't you all run out and send me wax paper. I will change my party activity plans. We're already decorating our own cupcakes. I just wanted everyone to know that I tried, I tried real hard. I just couldn't find wax paper.

2 Comments:

At 1/28/2005 5:49 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Bless your little heart! But your Valentine's party already sounds fun!

 
At 1/30/2005 3:23 PM, Blogger ~~whileuwait said...

Aunt mary rose here:
in reply re: the article on Israel.

I have not looked but you may find it on line
Harper's January 2005/

or go to Jerusalem's public library-or at the university ... I would be surprised if they did not have a subscription.
Finally- send me your mailing address- I will mail it to you in a week or so.....maryrose8467@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home