Saturday, February 12, 2005

GOD!

Sometimes I really miss Chapel Hill. I miss walking to campus in the summer and sweating to death. I miss walking on campus and Franklin Street and tripping on the bricks. I miss the memories in each building in town. I miss knowing what came before...before it was this it used to be that. I miss counting squirrels. No squirrels in Israel. I miss Bar-B-Que. I miss fried okra. I miss corn bread and buttermilk biscuits. I miss magnolia trees and dogwoods. I miss Durham. The Museum. Nice Price Books. Grannies Panties. I miss looking for junque in Burlington. I miss reliable weather reporting. I miss time alone in a car. I miss a clothes dryer. I miss Target and Wal-mart and Waffle House. I miss Bojangles. I miss libraries filled with books in English. I miss being able to tell what the voice mail announcement is saying...you have 2 new messages. I still don't know how to save voice mail in Hebrew and I don't know my cell phone number. I miss A Southern Season and Cameron's. I miss buying cheap gas. I miss knowing where I am going. I miss knowing where to look for things. I miss phone books in English. I miss opening books the "right" way. I miss advertisements in English on the radio. I miss the AM/PM 12 hour clock. I miss being able to walk into Harris Teeter and knowing right where to walk to buy whatever I am looking for ...and FINDING it! I miss dodging deer with the car on the way to work. I miss driving to work. I miss the smell of skunk and seeing opossums on the side of the road. I miss grass yards and driveways. I miss Whole Foods. I miss country stores and Sun Drop, Cheerwine, and Mr. Goodbars. I miss recycling day. I miss Lowes and Barnes and Noble. I miss driving in the country. I miss mobile homes and all the lights for Christmas. I miss milk in plastic jugs, drinkable yogurt, and fresh shrimp. I miss bacon cheeseburgers. I miss yard sales.

Ok, that's it for right now. I feel better.

Of course, the thing I miss the most is my family and friends. I have never been an emotional person. I don't cry a lot. But sometimes I get a little (ok, a lot) misty thinking of everyone. I miss you all a lot and I hope you know how very special you are to me. (And you should write me and send me email, damn it!) How's that for a guilt trip?

(I just did a spellcheck on this posting. Cheerwine's suggested spelling was "chorine". Goodbar's was "godforsaken". I am not kidding.)

1 Comments:

At 2/14/2005 12:40 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Only a true southerner even knows what Sun Drop is. When I was in TX and my parents came to visit, they brought Sun Drop. My friend Virginia had no idea what it was so she had to try it. It's funny the things we take for granted. Like Duke's Mayo. You can't get that in TX. But that's what friends and families are for, to ship it over! Nothing like getting a jar of mayo in your Christmas stocking like I did :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home