Thursday, February 17, 2005

Neither Heaven nor Hell

In limbo - in a state of being lost or forgotten, deserted or unwanted; not knowing what to do because of lack of information, etc. (I really want to know what the etc. is here.)

It is so cliche to use a definition to start a posting, I know. But I felt "in limbo" and I wanted to know the word derivation. Ahhh, the joys of Google. Worlds of information right at your fingertips!

Here's more:
Originally a technical term in medieval Christian (Roman Catholic) theology. It is a form of the Latin limbus (border, edge), as found in limbus infantum (the abode of children who died before baptism) and limbus patrum (the abode of the just who died before Christ, thus lacking redemption, but not through their own fault). (You Catholics have it all figured out!) These notions were much discussed and referred to in imaginative literature such as Dante's.

From meaning a region on the border of hell, but not in hell but not in heaven either.

(BTW, I took this directly from http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/sayingsi.htm. It's written as if they took it directly from someone else. In any case, the background for lots of common sayings and expressions are highlighted on that site.)

I was recently asked if I was interested in a job working on an exhibit for a museum in Charlotte, NC. The job would start very soon and world be great for my career. I was very flattered to be considered. I could visit my family and stock up on things I need for Israeli life while there for the 3 month project. After the 3 months, I would return to Israel and complete the project from here. I AM TOTALLY EXCITED BY IT!

Here's the hitch. I had to pay for the next semester of ulpan or Hebrew classes TODAY or be dropped from the registration. The project is still if-y and there are lots of loose ends. If I didn't pay today, then if the project falls through, I would be here just hanging out. If the project does come through then I will only be able to get 75% of my money back at the most.

So, I waited and did some hand-wringing, and complaining to Yaacov (Poor thing, he is SO ready for me to make more friends!)...and finally paid. If the job comes through, then GREAT! If it doesn't then I can still go to ulpan.

I felt (and still feel) in limbo.

1 Comments:

At 2/18/2005 1:22 AM, Blogger CJ said...

AAAHHH! Just the possibility makes me excited :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home