Friday, March 11, 2005

Dress Yourself

The other day I finished reading David Sedaris' Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Demin. Sedaris is such a funny writer. I couldn't read this book in a cafe because while reading it I had fits of really uncontrollable laughter. Yaacov has been working hard on lectures for his class and found my loud snickering annoying sometimes. But it's just so damn funny!

I have already begun reading Anne Tyler's book Saint Maybe. I have never read anything by Tyler, so I'll let you know what I think.

Hebrew classes are going well. I just can't tell you what an improvement it's been going to the new ulpan. I am much, much happier here with the new ulpan.

I am a little out of touch with fashion. People in Israel really dress much more radically than they do in the US. Everyone (grannies included) seems to wear really tight clothes. There is crack everywhere on the street, if you know what I mean. You see lots of bellies of both boys and girls...very low waisted pants that would make even Paris Hilton sweat. I feel like such a nerd (prude) in my khakis and button up shirt. Part of the reason I still wear my school teacher uniform (khakis and button up) is that it's comfortable. I have the body of a 12 year old boy (even 15 years later) and it's nice to cover it up. But I also want to fit in, so last night Yaacov and I went to the mall in search of some Israeli-styled jeans.

I really hate the mall. Everything is MUCH too big for me. But here I can find some things that fit, even though the sizes start at medium...that is so messed up. I have developed some survival strategies. So, when we first got to the mall, I used the bathroom and got something to eat...you can't be hungry or uncomfortable and undertake the shopping challenge.

The long and short of it is, after trying on about 10 pair of jeans, I finally decided on a pair of Diesel jeans. They are tight, low waisted, and SIZE 27! I just have no idea how small my body is. I don't feel like a size 27. I feel like a normal person. Now, I don't need any sympathy or evil posts talking about how lucky it must be to be a size 27 waist. The whole point is that even though I am skinny, I don't want to be. I imagine that it's the same feeling as if you're too big. You want to be "normal"...I don't want to be on the extreme fringe of sizes...where things that fit properly are so hard to find. But the jeans were about $150, so I guess I'll have to be satisfied being a size 27 for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home