Friday, May 27, 2005

Dear Mom

Dear Mom,

Goodness, saying goodbye to you at the airport the other day was one of the hardest things that I have ever had to do. I know the counter agent thought that I was crazy because I was still crying when I checked my bags. When I first moved to Israel I didn't know what to expect. It was exciting and fun. It seemed like a vacation. Now I know how far away it can seem sometimes. So, I was crying partly for myself. I miss you. Twice a year is not enough.

I was also crying because I care for you. I am shocked by my own feelings of protectiveness. I know that people in this world can be mean, deceitful, and just hard to live with. I wish that I could be nearby so that I could beat them up for you (so to speak). It would be so nice if everyone treated everyone else as if they were their mother. I am being extra nice to folks here (especially women) in hopes that by way of some cosmic ying/yang balancing people will be extra nice to you too. Just yesterday I was at the hair salon and I gave my seat up for a grandmother - she smiled and was able to take a load off.

I was crying because I am so proud of you. The past few years have been so challenging for you. I wish that I could have been there to help you more. You have met these challenges and have worked hard to overcome them in your own way. You have the resources to take care of yourself (no need for a silly old man) and you've proven it. So now that we all know that you can do it, please let me know if you ever need advice or help working something out. I am hear to help and to listen.

I was crying because it's really sad and frustrating that all the people I care about can't be in the same place at the same time. It's ironic that I have so much free time here (at least for now) but most of the people that I would want to spend my free time with aren't here.

Thanks, mom, for loving me...for being there. (I always thought that was corny to say "thanks for being there", but I am being to understand what it means. I don't think it's corny anymore.) Please take good care of yourself. Don't work too hard. Turn away from ugly people. Look out for those jerks. Look out for yourself. Call me if you need anything. Drive with both hands on the wheel. Say hi to Tom.

See you soon.

Love,
John

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home