Friday, July 08, 2005

Or Adom (Red Light)

This morning Yaacov and I got up and did something we do most every Friday. We went to the shuk or open market to buy veggies and such for the week. Y's been working on a civil-disobedience case and wanted to stop by a bookstore downtown to see if they had a book he was looking for related to his work. That meant that we had to go in sort of a reverse loop to our usual route. We stopped by the bookstore and headed to the shuk. We crossed one lane of King George on green, looked left and right, and then crossed the other lane on red. Well, after crossing the intersection a policewoman approached us and asked for our ID cards. I said in English that I didn't have one while Yaacov handed his over. After asking us in a gruff voice why we crossed the street on red, she said to Yaacov that she was giving him a ticket. Well, it's not a big deal. We did something wrong, we got caught, and now Y was getting a ticket. We were too shocked that she was actually giving Y a ticket to think about how ironic it was to have just been talking about civil disobedience.

I kind of stepped away from the action and waited for the policewoman to write the ticket. Apparently my American looks and accent - plus using English - got me off the hook for now. All you Anglos out there take note of that strategy!

We left with our 100 NIS ($20) fine and talked about how police time could be better spent.

We "did the shuk" and headed home. On the way home we passed an elderly man in a wheelchair and his Asian assistant. As I walked passed the old man said, "Mah ze?! Yeled o buba?" (What's that? A boy or a doll?) Yaacov immediately started to laugh. Those of you who know me, know that I am about 5'6", 120lbs, skinny and cute. Yes, I am 27 with the body of a 14 year-old. Let's just sum it up by saying that it's an issue with me, ok! But never has anyone called me a doll! I haven't shaved in 3 days and I was wearing a tank top - my most butch look!

I guess the old man was just calling it like he saw it.

What do you think? Be kind. Note the very butch stubble, beefy arms, and bed head. A doll?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home