Thursday, August 04, 2005

St. George's

St. George's Cathedral is an Anglican church near the American Colony Hotel. We visited St. George's with Kobe on our little tour of the area. It was Saturday morning and we were the only people around - the church was quiet and empty. I found out later that Mordechai Vanunu has been a resident of St. George's Guest House since his release from prison - but I didn't see him there.

Anyway, I don't usually get too excited about churches - although I really enjoy visiting Notre Dame when I am in Paris. However, this church seemed friendly and cozy.

Here's one of the things that I particularly liked.

Each chair in the church had a handmade cushion depicting scenes and verses from the Bible. I think that the cushions were made by church ladies in England (There are several with the names of English towns embroidered on them.) and sent to this church.


This one made me giggle.


Here's a view of the interior - all of those chairs have little handmade pillows on them.


Here's the view from the other direction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home