Friday, November 25, 2005

Classroom Giggles (One)

Long, long ago in a land far, far away, I was a Kindergarten and First Grade teacher. I have some stories that I'd like to share and I am going to post them in a series called Classroom Giggles.

This first story didn't happen to me, but to my good friend Robin. Hi Robin!

Robin taught second grade and had a divided portion of her day as literacy centers. This was a time where children could move rather freely around the classroom and participate in small group or individual literacy-building activities. One of the centers was a matching game where children would match pictures of a common object (like a ball) with the initial consonant sound ( /b/). Robin would move from center to center observing the children, solving problems, and guiding instruction. A girl sat at the matching center with a frustrated expression and held in her hand a picture of a pipe. Robin sat down with her to help and asked the child to say the first sound and then the whole word that matched the item in the picture. The girl said, "W, W, weed."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home