Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I Want It Now or אין לי סבלנות

(This post was originally written Nov. 9.)

Remember that 90s song Mr. Vain? The chorus goes something like: "I know what I want and I want it now." Well, that part of the song has been running through my head today. Who knew life was going to be so much work?! I know what I want (ok - maybe not exactly, but it's becoming more clear) and I DO want it now! I am running out of patience!

Seriously, ulpan this morning kicked my ass. I am going to type a song we read as a blog post soon to help prove my point. I am going to begin typing in Hebrew and need the practice. Every time I start a new round of ulpan class I am motivated for about five minutes to do some extra work outside of class. I feel like if I want to live fully here that I need to master Hebrew. I know lots of folks here that get along just fine without much or any Hebrew. They've lived here lots of years. They seem to be perfectly happy. But for me to somehow have a career and feel comfortable making Israeli friends I need to know Hebrew inside and out. I have received lots of compliments on my Hebrew skills, but it just seems like the more I learn, the more I need to know.

9 Comments:

At 11/15/2005 7:46 AM, Blogger Robbie said...

Hi,

You don't know me in the slightest, but I found your blog and I like reading it. I've added you to my blogroll (links) and thought it would only be polite to tell you.

Thanks!

 
At 11/15/2005 9:08 AM, Blogger Liza said...

Yes! I've been living here for nearly 15 years, and I just don't understand how some people can be satisfied with not knowing the language, or at least attempting to master it. My life here has been so much fuller as a result of knowing Hebrew. Even the most basic things like understanding the news, announcements, etc. I can't imagine not having that. Thanks to having learned Hebrew, I have been able to immerse (okay, maybe too strong a word, but you get the idea) myself in Israeli society, and I love that I can do that! Good for you! Keep it up. I know it's tough, but if you persevere, you'll be rewarded for your efforts.

 
At 11/15/2005 12:20 PM, Blogger Savtadotty said...

You guys are going to shame me into mastering the future tense (in Hebrew)! Never mind the news.

 
At 11/15/2005 1:19 PM, Blogger John said...

Savtadotty: Future is easy compared to the past tense - really. We'll practice when I see you next time!

 
At 11/15/2005 1:55 PM, Blogger Matt Erlandsen said...

I live in Chile. Here we have a lot of 'gringos' (chilean slang for Americans) and most of them don't speak spanish at all. I think it's easy to live abroad without knowing the language if you go to the right place... and if you meet the right people too.
Take care and make good use of your ulpan -I'd like to take one too, but that's almost impossible here :(

Matt.-

 
At 11/15/2005 2:36 PM, Blogger John said...

Matt: Go to http://www.milingua.com. You can get their free Hebrew word a day and I think access to other free basic lessons - it's a start. :-) I am off to do homework with a friend from ulpan right now...it's bittersweet.

 
At 11/15/2005 8:50 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I just signed up at Milingua. Thanks for the link.

 
At 11/15/2005 10:48 PM, Blogger Yael K said...

John your hebrew so rocks. You have only been here a year and already you are pretty darn fluent. And hey, anyone who is in Gimel is like a G-d to me (lol especially if he has good taste in bags :). You are so motivated you will get there!

 
At 11/16/2005 12:25 PM, Blogger John said...

Yael - Dalet, babe, Dalet! :-) Although Lisa says dalet = death.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home