Tuesday, November 15, 2005

So Israeli!

I subscribe to a listserv called Janglo. It's a way for English speaking people in the Jerusalem area to connect with each other - ask/offer advice, sell things, announcements, etc. Every once in a while there is a post that make me laugh out loud or go hmmmm. The following one - well, just read it.

Message: 17 Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 05:14:19 -0000 From: >Subject: ADVICE; Yesterday (Sunday) Bank Leumi was closed, does anybody knowif it is a strike and if it continues today?Thank you

Coming from NC, one of the least unionized states in the U.S., it's hard for me to wrap my head around strikes. I think pushing for worker's rights is a good thing, but I find myself a raging capitalist if the bank or post office is closed when I need something.

6 Comments:

At 11/15/2005 6:27 PM, Anonymous ck said...

I can live without the friggin banks - they are such a time suck anyway. I don't care, as long as the good humus joints don't go on strike. THAT would be awful!

 
At 11/16/2005 12:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, lord. I just remember living in Jerusalem during the garbage strike: the workers went on strike for 6 weeks. You think the stray cats/dogs are bad now? Just wait til the trash from Emek Rafaim meets up with the as-yet-to be picked up trash from Nachalot, then you get back to me! :)

 
At 11/16/2005 2:04 AM, Blogger ifyouwillit said...

The banks are never really open anyway.

 
At 11/16/2005 11:12 PM, Blogger Savtadotty said...

Banks...I ty to stay away from them because I actually tried to slug a nasty bank employee during my early years of "klita" and am afraid I'll lose control of myself again. I'm safer when they're on strike!

 
At 11/17/2005 1:42 PM, Blogger Liza said...

Savtadotty, you didn't say what caused you to almost slug the bank employee, but I'd be willing to bet that any court in the country would have found your actions justified!

 
At 11/20/2005 9:10 PM, Anonymous chanie said...

we had our water turned off as part of a strike several years ago. that crossed the line for me. of course, the courts stepped in and forced the unions to turn it back on.
given that amir peretz was in charge, dunno if i can vote labor again. i have sympathy for workers right - but water??

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home