Monday, December 26, 2005

Update 1: Reading List

I've decided to do the "Shalom Israel Update" in a mini-series. That way I don't get bored typing and you don't get bored reading. This update is about what I've been reading.

I brought the book Money by Martin Amis with me on the plane. I haven't read any more of it though. It's been hard to get into. It's on the list.

My grandmother bought me Tuesdays with Morrie. It read it in two days and it was GREAT! It's touching and reflective. It's a wonderful way to remind ourselves about the meaning of family during the holidays and rededicate ourselves to important work in the new year ahead.

I am now reading Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell. My friends Ingra and Ron gave it to me for Christmas. I am only a couple of pages in, but I can already tell it's going to be lots of fun. Vowell is witty and dry - terribly funny. I just love her writing. I think that I enjoy her books more because I have previously heard her voice. Her dead-pan delivery and interesting tone and cadence echo in her writing. Fun!

I am going to try to find a couple of more titles while I am here. But I got so much loot this Christmas I am now beginning to think of how to pack it all for the return trip.

3 Comments:

At 12/26/2005 4:36 PM, Blogger Savtadotty said...

I'm with your grandmother: liked Tuesdays with Morrie. My kids thought it was too syrupy. It's very cold here without you!

 
At 12/26/2005 7:19 PM, Blogger Esther Kustanowitz said...

Haven't read Vowell's book, although reading about it here reminded me to add it to my wishlist.

And she was on the Daily Show a few months ago, and totally cracked Jon Stewart up, which is like my life goal.

 
At 12/28/2005 3:27 PM, Blogger John said...

Savtadotty: I enjoyed the reminder in Tuesdays with Morrie...I read it at just the right time. I hope to bring the warm weather back with me.

Esther: That is a great life goal! This book is a hoot. I probably would NEVER want to know so much about dead presidents, but it's just so darn funny!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home