Thursday, January 05, 2006

Insomnia Wonderings

I've had a little jet lag since I got back from the US. I don't like it at all. I've been getting up early in the morning and haven't been able to go back to sleep. I thought that it was getting better, but this morning I got up at 3:30 or so. My eyes have that burning, gritty feeling that you got in high school cramming for exams. (I SO did not cram for exams in college.) I am hoping that I won't loose any friends while I am a grumpy bitch.

So, Israel's PM, Sharon, isn't doing so well. I read the headlines when I got up and it turns out that he's in the hospital in pretty serious condition. This is just what Israel needs, more instability.

I have to be quiet when I get up in the middle of the night so as to not wake up Yaacov. I have been goofing around on the internet and importing CDs into my computer. I bought myself an ipod nano for Christmas and I am just now getting around to putting all of my CDs on the computer. It's kind of a pain, but it will be fun to carry around mixes of the music I like. I am realizing that I have WAY too many Barbra Streisand CDs (if that's possible).

I'm craving potato chips right now. There is a 24 hour (but not on Shabbat) corner market right up the street. I have been debating for a couple of hours if I should go get some chips. That would require putting on a coat and some shoes. So, I haven't gone. In a couple of hours, I'll make toast and eggs. There's nothing worse than passing your jet lag around to everyone in the house if you know what I mean. Poor Yaacov. He's already been up once.

I have heard one newspaper delivery person run up the steps in our building already. I think that I heard the next one just park outside. They bound up the steps and make a lot of noise - or it seems like a lot of noise when everything is so quiet. Speaking of breaking the quiet, East Jerusalem is waking up. I can hear the muezzin in the distance.

I think that I am going to make Hoppin' John this weekend. I am off to the Russian market later to buy bacon and other pork stuff. I am a little late making it (you're supposed to make it for the New Year), but I was late making it last year too. This will be the third year in a row that I have made Hoppin John for myself. It makes me feel kind of cool keeping food traditions alive. Now I just need to figure out how to make corn bread, biscuits, and pound cake like my grandmother.

I have been thinking about my New Years resolutions. One of them is to become a beef cake. Another is to work harder on learning Hebrew. I don't drink (anymore) so I want to keep that up. I also want to learn to crochet.

4 Comments:

At 1/05/2006 6:33 AM, Blogger Adam said...

I just learned about Hoppin' John after moving to Texas two years ago. Never heard a thing about it living in NY or in AZ.

 
At 1/06/2006 9:29 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Beefcake! BEEFCAKE!!!

 
At 1/11/2006 3:59 AM, Anonymous cdodson said...

exactly what are your expectations of this new beefcake look?

 
At 1/11/2006 7:28 PM, Blogger John said...

Adam: Eat it! It's good for you!
Sam: Right on, my friend!
CD: I'll get back to you on that...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home