Friday, January 27, 2006

Pulling a James Frey

Y and I have just finished breakfast. We had salad (tomatoes, radishes, cucumbers, cilantro, rashad (I don't know what this is in English!)), tehina, sour cream, cheese, olives, grapefruit juice, coffee, and scrambled/scribbled eggs.

Over breakfast I shared with Y about the whole James Frey scandal. Anyway, we joked about how people can now pull a "James Frey" or how calling someone a "James Frey" ain't such a good thing.

In his book (a "memoir" of addiction and "redemption") Frey has negative things to say about Alcoholics Anonymous. Part of AA is developing a practice of "rigorous honesty". I guess Frey has a lot to learn in this regard.

5 Comments:

At 1/27/2006 12:05 PM, Blogger Savtadotty said...

When I read this post, I had just finished reading the NY Times article about the Oprah show, where she raked James Frey over the coals live, and apologized to her fans for defending him. He needed an editor who understood that when he says "idea" it means "lie."

 
At 1/27/2006 4:09 PM, Blogger Derek said...

I exagerate myself sometimes, just to make the story more interesting. I'm kind of like the dad in "Big Fish", so when I write my memoirs, I better make that one clear.

 
At 1/27/2006 5:36 PM, Blogger Adam said...

mmm food sounds good. James Frey...i feel a blog post brewing on all of this.

 
At 1/27/2006 6:07 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I taped that Oprah show - haven't watched it yet. I'm halfway through the book and am not too sure I'll finish it. When it was his story, it was enthralling. Now that it's a story, it's not all that...

 
At 2/02/2006 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked his book, but honesty is the best policy... I guess we all learn from mistakes... part of the journey.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home