Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Rantette(s)

Rant 1:

I have downloaded (finally) Firefox onto my new machine. It works really well except for one tiny part - it won't play video in a pop up screen through Windows Media Player. I get an error screen that says that no Media Player is detected and prompts me to download it. Well, I already have it. If I try to download Media Player, the process stops and a error message say that the downloading can't continue because I already have an updated version. Well, tell that to Firefox. Everything works fine in IE - which grinds my shorts even more.

Rant 2:

The other day I had a favorite pair of pants repaired at my wonderful tailor on Aza St. (I'll write more about him soon.) There were two small holes that had formed at the top of the back pockets and he did a wonderful job patching them up. Well, last night I was making dinner and my friend Jonathan was over. Jonathan was chopping veggies for the salad and I squatted down to get a tomato out of a basket. Ripppppppp! Yes, folks, I ripped my pants. The ripping made a really loud farting sound and completely made a hole in my crotch area. Kids, I weight about 125lbs and I am skinny but it was still pretty embarrassing to rip a hole in my pants. And I was so angry - I just had these repaired. Well, I excused myself to change leaving Jonathan in charge of the salad. When I checked out the pants, I saw that they were beyond repair. The fabric (lovely charcoal corduroy - cut on the bias) was just shot even though I have only worn these pants a handful of times. UGH! These pants fit just right - UGH!

5 Comments:

At 1/31/2006 2:13 PM, Anonymous Shirat_HaSirena said...

I don't have that problem with Firefox. Go to the mozilla site and make sure you download all the extensions that you want...you have to customize the browser. Kind of a pain in the butt at first but it lets you do so much more!

 
At 1/31/2006 2:16 PM, Blogger John said...

Any that you really LOVE, Shirat Hasirena? Let us in on the goodies!

 
At 1/31/2006 3:39 PM, Blogger Sam said...

If you could see and hear me right now, I have to tell you that I'm laughing with you, not at you. I'd be lying... :0) I hope you find more fab pants.

Since you've opted to just use IE for video on CNN, you may want to get the Firefox extension that allows you to tell Firefox to always open CNN (or any other site) in IE. It'c called "IE View" and I use it for one site that doesn't render correctly in Firefox. It works beautifully. G'luck!

 
At 2/01/2006 2:56 PM, Blogger John said...

Thanks, Sam. The IE View extension works.

 
At 2/01/2006 10:43 PM, Anonymous Shirat HaSirena said...

I'm such a Mozilla nerd...here are the extensions I have and use and like...Foxy Tunes (to control my iTunes from the browsers), Forecast Fox for weather all around Israel and even back home, Colorful Tabs because I like the pretty colors when I have 12 tabs open :), PDF Download (let's you view PDFs as another HTML page instead of downloading it right away), Sage for my RSS feeds on the left side of the browser and you can hide it if you want, Hebrew Calendar (so I can practice knowing the Hebrew calendar date (not that useful unless you know the Hebrew dates of holidays and stuff), Crash Recovery and finally...Tabbrowser preferences. Firefox is the best. I love browsing with tabs...what an ingenious approach to your Internet experience.

Ha ha ha ha! No really...I do love Firefox so much more than IE. I only keep IE around because some of the Israeli web sites are not Firefox friendly.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home