Saturday, January 21, 2006

Weekend Wrap-up

The weekend isn't over here (our weekend is Friday and Saturday) but I thought I'd just give you all the overview of what's been going on.

Thursday night Y and I went out to eat at a cafe that we like over on Derch Bethlehem and then went to see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Going to a movie in Israel is not like going to one in the US. The screens here are much smaller, you get an assigned seat, and the experience is just different. I like the US movie-going experience much better. Overall, I liked the Harry Potter movie. I thought that the special effects were great but there wasn't much of a story. I was shocked at how much sexier this movie was compared to the other ones.

On Friday morning I woke up on the wrong side of the bed and that feeling lasted pretty much all day. Y went to the shuk or open air market and bought fruits and veggies. I headed to the supermarket and got some other groceries. Then we went to Tel Aviv. We checked out the new American Apparel store at Dizengoff Center and did a little shopping. I didn't buy anything at AA - they didn't have the bright pink undies in my size - next time. Y got a couple of sweaters at Castro on sale. Then we headed to meet up with Lisa. We had fun catching up with her. She helped me get out of my stinking mood. Lisa headed back to her apartment to work and Y and I were off to the soup salon at Savta Dotty's. Savta Dotty made some good soup which was enjoyed over good conversation and opera music in the background. Nothing like a good aria to lift your spirits.

Unfortunately we had to leave Savta Dotty's early and head back to Jerusalem for Shabbat dinner. We had plans with one of Yaacov's co-workers' family. I slept the whole way back to Jerusalem. As we got ready to leave for dinner the weather became worse. Jerusalem's winters can be harsh and last night was a good example. Cold. Rain. Hard wind. Not fun. Dinner was good and it's always fun to get to know new friends. The rain had stopped by the time we left.

I slept very late this morning. I woke up a couple of times to the sound of my upstairs neighbor cleaning her floors (on Shabbat!!!) and moving moving furniture around but I was able to go back to sleep. I finally got out of the bed at 11! I haven't slept in that late in a really long time! I was worried earlier in the weekend that I was getting sick, but today after a lot of sleep I feel much better. Wandering around in a haze I found Yaacov in front of his computer. Apparently he'd been up for two hours trying to figure out how to set up the new wireless router that we bought the day before. After about another hour of us both working on it, we finally got it to work. So now I can waste time in any room of the house!

We're going to go see Brokeback Mountain tonight. It just opened here on Thursday. I'm excited.

3 Comments:

At 1/22/2006 6:48 AM, Blogger Adam said...

Be safe, the two of you. I got concerned the other day when I heard of the bombing in Tel Aviv.

GOF had a lot of story in it or were you too busy thinking of a shirtless Potter through most of the movie?

 
At 1/22/2006 10:18 PM, Blogger John said...

Hey Adam - we're still alive. Thanks for your concern. I hope that my blog can help put a face to the kinds of folks that call Israel home. Call/email your represenatives to let them know that you want them to help find a way to end this conflict. Let them know that this issue matters to you.

As for the Potter Party - well, I was actually thinking, "Boy it's hot in here! Why is it so hot in here? My goodnees! It's late - it's 11:00. What language are those people behind me speaking - Phillipino?"

 
At 1/23/2006 4:48 PM, Blogger Sam said...

That HP movie was a bit racey! Brokeback is much racier! I just listened to the audiobook last week. It's good, too. I started "The DaVinci Code" this morning.

Glad your mood improved and that you got some obviously needed sleep.

Take good care!
DDGTMCYS

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home