Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Love/Hate (for today)

I love (sometimes) TV in Israel. We have lots of English TV here in Israel. It isn't dubbed over in Hebrew either. I remember watching The Fresh Prince on my first trip to Paris - hearing French come out of Will Smith's mouth freaked me out. Can French people even sound like they are from the 'hood? Anyway, the Hebrew translation is at the bottom of the screen of programs in other languages - here that's mainly English, Russian, Spanish, and Arabic. This feeds into my skewed logic that if I watch Oprah, that I am practicing my Hebrew reading. The funny thing is that a lot of programs that are in Hebrew also have the Hebrew text at the bottom of the screen. It really helps me to follow what people are saying.

Sometimes there is nothing on. But the other day I turned on the TV and Pirates of the Caribbean, East of Eden, Lost in Translation, and Cool Hand Luke were all on. I had a choice of some really good movies (to practice my Hebrew reading). Just about all of these movies were shown without commercials. Many movies and programs that would not be shown in the US on basic cable TV are shown here.

I also get my fix of reality - The Biggest Loser and Survivor. We get them a little late, but we watch them without commercials. It's shocking how much of a program is wasted with applause, leading into a commercial, and reminding viewers where we left off before the commercials.

I hate music on websites that is screaming at me when the page opens. Stop it!

Update: I can't believe I forgot my fav reality show: The Amazing Race. I really love this show. I really hate the mean ones (especially when the partner doesn't support their teammate) and love the nice ones. Of course, we have our own version of Israel-based reality shows. We've got "A Star if Born" (the Israeli version of American Idol), "Born to Dance" (Idol but a dancing competition), and "Race for the Apartment" (The Amazing Race, but you win an apartment in the end). I'll blog about these soon.

8 Comments:

At 2/01/2006 4:47 PM, Blogger John said...

OMG! I just realized that it was February!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 2/01/2006 5:18 PM, Blogger Cori/Shoshana said...

this is good to know. i thought that id lost tv forever:)

 
At 2/01/2006 5:58 PM, Blogger Sam said...

"This feeds into my skewed logic that if I watch Oprah, that I am practicing my Hebrew reading."

"I had a choice of some really good movies (to practice my Hebrew reading)."

"I hate music on websites that is screaming at me when the page opens. Stop it!"

I love you! I love you! I REALLY love you!!! I know... I really shouldn't feed your ego, but I'm really relating to what you've written here.

Take care!

 
At 2/01/2006 8:49 PM, Blogger christa said...

i'm surprised they ship over stuff like 'survivor'. but i'm glad they do. it's my favorite guilty indulgence. the newest season starts here tomorrow!

 
At 2/01/2006 9:27 PM, Blogger John said...

Shoshana: Israelis love anything American. General Hospital is coming to the Star World channel on Feb 10!

Sam: I am feeling the love, my friend! Isn't blogging great?!

Christa: Don't tell me what happens. Right now I am watching the season with the former pro football player - he just got voted off and has joined Bobby John and Jamie on the jury! I have no idea how that fits into the series in the US.

I just saw the final episode of season two of The Biggest Loser. Ok, this show is like the worst produced show on TV - but watching people lose weight, get healthy, and change their lives just gets to me. I just wish that they all could stay - I mean, stop the voting off and just let them all compete until the end.

 
At 2/01/2006 10:45 PM, Anonymous Shirat HaSirena said...

Oooo I can't wait to read the reality show post!!! My cute boyfriend will be on the finale so you'll have to watch it!!

 
At 2/02/2006 3:52 AM, Anonymous jaime said...

I am a huge Amazing Race fan, except for this last season which was a joke. Can't believe they even went through with idea of it. But I would love to do that with my husband. We may not be married by the end of it, but I am sure it would be a blast.

 
At 2/03/2006 8:29 AM, Blogger John said...

Jamie - I don't know which season is what anymore. We didn't have cable with I was in the US, so I am a little behind on my TV. I like to think that we're one of those couples that would grow stronger on the trip, but I think that Y would end up killing me and burying my in Africa somewhere - he'd get tired of my complaining. There's no hot water! I'm tired! I'm hungry! This is hard! I think that's why I like watching - it's something that I would never be able to do.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home