Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Small Israeli Mammals

Last night Y and I went to his grandparent's for Purim dinner. It was tons of fun...lots of good Georgian food. I understood almost all of the Hebrew conversation and none of the Georgian.

Full of good home cooking, we were walking back to the apartment from where we parked the car when I saw what I thought was a brush on the sidewalk. It turned out to be this:

A cute hedgehog!

Turns out that Israel is home to 3 kinds of hedgehogs. The one pictured above (not my photo) is the Eastern European Hedgehog. The Long-eared Hedgehog and the Desert or Ethopian Hedgehog (appropriate!) also call Israel home. You can learn more about other small Israeli mammals here.

3 Comments:

At 3/15/2006 3:24 PM, Anonymous katherine said...

we recently had one of those visit us in our garden. our puppy did not know what to make of it! it was very cute, and did not mind at all being put into a laundry basket for its trip to somewhere a little wilder than our garden :)

 
At 3/15/2006 5:32 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I want one! You send me a hedgehog and I'll send you some Lexington BBQ! ;-)

I saw a raccoon near our home on the way home the other night. I don't think I'd ever seen one in the wild. When I first moved to Gibsonville (1995), I saw a man driving a pickup truck downtown and he had two young raccoons running back and forth across the top of the bench seat. They were ADORABLE!

 
At 3/20/2006 1:42 AM, Blogger aliyah06 said...

Very cute! And thanks for the links to Israeli fauna!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home