Saturday, April 29, 2006

Knowing, Learning, Remembering

The older I get, I'm getting in touch with my feelings more and more. It's a good thing. For me Yom HaShoah is really powerful. It's interesting that I am so affected by this day because I never met a real live Jewish person until I was 16 and I don't remember where/how my understanding of the Holocaust developed.

For me there is something so incredibly powerful about the whole nation of Israel stopping for two minutes to remember the lives that were destroyed. It motivates me to learn more about the Holocaust and understand the Jewish experience both in the Diaspora and in Israel.

It's also I time for me to remember that I am also part of a minority that was sent to concentration camps.

I waited for a few days to try to put my thoughts together about Yom HaShoah but I haven't been very successful. But I did want to share about this with you all. I'm going to put some links at the bottom of this post to some other blogs that shared about their Yom HaShoah experiences.

This is a photograph of my TV on the evening of Yom HaShoah. All of the Israeli TV channels were off for 24 hours - even the shopping channel. (Other channels like BBC, CNN, etc still were playing programming.) But for the most part there's nothing to watch on Yom HaShoah - some programs about the Holocaust were playing.

Read what some other bloggers have to say about Yom HaShoah:
Dutchblog Israel
From Jerusalem with Love
Jewlicious
On the Face
Suburban Desert
Shirat Hasirena
Shutterfool
Treppenwitz

6 Comments:

At 4/29/2006 10:47 PM, Anonymous Shirat HaSirena said...

Thanks for the link to me. In case I haven't said it enough...I'm glad you're here and I'm glad our paths crossed. You rock my socks!

 
At 4/30/2006 3:13 AM, Blogger Matt Erlandsen said...

I also wrote a post about Yom Hashoa, something not very known in Chilean society. It was controversial in a place almost-almost nazi...
Nice pics from Georgia!,
Matt.-

 
At 4/30/2006 9:24 AM, Blogger treppenwitz said...

Wonderful introspective post. I appreciate your mentioning the story I shared.

 
At 4/30/2006 3:06 PM, Blogger RR said...

Awesome post, John- and not just because you linked to me ;-) Thanks.

 
At 5/01/2006 12:13 PM, Blogger Yael K said...

John, thank you for putting up the links to some of the sites blogging about Yom HaShoah and for the very important reminder of the other minority groups targeted and tortured by the Nazis. Beautifully written post.

 
At 5/04/2006 10:28 PM, Blogger Sweettooth120 said...

I will never forget the first time I saw one of the those old-timers with the forever reminder of their horrific past tattooed on their arm. I was in the Elite Chocolate store in Jerusalem, the lady helping me behind the counter had a number tattooed on her arm.

I didn't want to be rude and look, but at the same time, I just couldn't stop staring.

It's one thing reading about it, it's another when you are face to face with a survivor.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home