Sunday, April 23, 2006

Travels in Georgia: Day 4

We had trouble deciding on a place for lunch. So, we stopped at a market in a small town outside of Tbilisi and bought veggies, cheese, and bread to make a picnic.

I went exploring and found some interesting detergent:



I guess this is what I would use if I lived in Georgia...

Our picnic site - nice, huh!

The big guy in the blue is our driver/tour guide. If you visit Georgia, I HIGHLY recommend you get a guide. Y is cutting tomatoes or something and Y's dad is supervising.

After the picnic we headed out into the desert on our way to a monastery at the end of the earth. The desert looks green now, but it's all brown and dry during the summer. The road, by the way, was a bumpy, muddy dirt road stretching for miles and miles.

It seemed like that there are ancient watchtowers on every third rise.


We finally made it to the monastery which is on the border with Azerbaijan. It is has been hewn from sandstone cliffs. The monks live in those little caves/rooms.


You can hike up the cliff above the monastery on steps cut out of the rock.

Channels have been cut into the rock face to direct water into holding caves/pits. While we were there we saw men lowering buckets down to get water. I don't think that there is any electricity here. I didn't see power lines for miles and miles. They might have generators, but I didn't see them either.

4 Comments:

At 4/23/2006 1:20 PM, Blogger RR said...

Those detergents cracked me up- especially "Barf"- what a riot! So many jokes, so little time...

 
At 4/24/2006 6:46 PM, Blogger Adam said...

Love the pictures of the detergents. That is a riot!

 
At 4/25/2006 12:09 PM, Anonymous Kari said...

The monastery on the side of the cliff was amazing...I wonder what it would be like to hang out in there.

The detergents put a smile :) on my face.

 
At 4/25/2006 7:21 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I, too, like the detergents, especially "Barf!"

OK, now I'm jealous of your trip! That monastary is amazing!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home