Sunday, April 09, 2006

Work

Since arriving in Israel a year and a half ago, I have been studying Hebrew and trying to play the role of homemaker. Learning the language and figuring out the culture was my main job. I figured that my "career" could be put on hold for a while and I might find myself like lots of other immigrants - working outside of my field (whatever that is/was exactly?).

Anyway, I got involved with an exhibit project regarding the Dead Sea Scrolls about a year ago. This experience really got the ball rolling as far as continuing my "career" in Israel. This past fall, I began volunteering at the Rockefeller Museum. There I have been introduced to many interesting people and became familiar with the collection. My main job has been to work on an inventory of the collection. I take items from the collection and record their current location. It sounds pretty simple, but it can be really painstaking. Everything - even tiny, tiny beads - has a number and location. This is a long term project, but little by little progress is being made.

During this time, I did a little leg work...and recently it paid off. A museum in San Diego and another one in Kansas City have asked me to help them coordinate various aspects of exhibitions related to Israel...mainly the Dead Sea Scrolls. In May, I am working with a museum from Raleigh, North Carolina in preparation for their Dead Sea Scrolls exhibition. Representatives from the museum will be visiting Israel in May and I'll be helping them organize the initial phases of the exhibition work. I have also been asked to do some work with the IAA on an exhibit they are creating for the Knesset. So - it's busy around here - and that's a good thing!

2 Comments:

At 4/09/2006 1:52 PM, Blogger Savtadotty said...

Legwork, network, and patience can pay off. Especially when you're competent. Hurray!

 
At 4/10/2006 11:49 AM, Anonymous Kari said...

Yashacoak! That sounds like a very interesting and challening experience. It's amazing how in life, we're not sure where we are going but one experience opens a new door to a whole new world of others.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home