Friday, May 19, 2006

More and More Israeli

I am SO Israeli!

Last Friday I bought a set of six cheap glass mugs at the shuk in Jerusalem. The shopkeeper gave them to me in a box and stupidly I accepted them without inspecting them first. Realizing my mistake, I opened the box of mugs in the open part of the shuk and gave them a look-see. They all seemed ok and I went home.

When I got home, I washed them and discovered that one had a small crack. I was sure that the crack would spread with use. I decided to take it back.

So this morning while preparing for our weekly shuk trip, I got my mug ready. Y thought that I was crazy for trying to exchange a mug at the shuk. We went today with a new-to-Israel friend to show her the ropes. We discussed my plans and both our friend and Y wanted to see what would happen when I tried to exchange the mug. I was rehearsing the Hebrew during the trip - in all of my options - being friendly, being forceful...yelling at him, "Take your trash! Take your stupid mug!" Y and our friend got a real kick out of my acting out!

Well, in the end I sneaked off and went to the shop by myself. If it didn't work out, I didn't want there to be an audience. In Hebrew, I asked the guy if he remembered me and showed him the problem mug. Without saying a word, he found a good mug and put my mug back on the sale pile! Then he said, "Shabbat Shalom!"

I did it! I returned something to the shuk! Yeah me!

6 Comments:

At 5/19/2006 3:10 PM, Blogger Savtadotty said...

I don't get what's the Israeli part: buying something at the shuk? returning something? returning something to the shuk? returning something in Hebrew? Anyhow, (pedantic savta kicking in now) what you really did was "exchange," not "return." My American brain says "Return" means you get your money back. If you find a shop in Israel where you can do that, please let us know!

 
At 5/19/2006 3:45 PM, Blogger Rafi G said...

kol hakavod!

 
At 5/19/2006 5:43 PM, Anonymous Shirat_HaSirena said...

I am SO impressed. Kol hakavod lecha!

 
At 5/19/2006 6:20 PM, Blogger Kalvin said...

I think that's great. Is it more and more Israeli because people take things back all the time? And if you can be so dramatic with your practicing, maybe there's a little drag queen inside in nascent form. Just maybe...

 
At 5/20/2006 7:44 PM, Blogger Matt Erlandsen said...

Ö!

Very good. Congratulations!,

Matt.-

 
At 5/28/2006 12:22 AM, Blogger Yael K said...

Oooooohhhh that is bravery indeed! Can I bring you with me to BGU to argue with the girl I already argued with and then slunk out defeated when she gave me change for a 20 shekel bill when I gave her a 50 shekel one (I only had a 50 shekel bill and so knew without a doubt that it was, indeed, 50 and not 20)? I am SO impressed!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home