Saturday, June 03, 2006

For a Gayer Lebanon

Last weekend several friends of mine, all gay guys living in Jerusalem, decided to make a trip to Beirut. They asked me to come along - and I turned them down for various reasons. After hearing their stories, I kind of wish now that I had gone along. Apparently Beirut is a happening place - good shopping, good eating, and fun - with a "gay culture"! Who knew?! Oh well. Next time.

My dear friend Lisa forwarded me this BBC article about a recent rally of gays, lesbians, bisexual and transgender people in Beirut! It's very interesting - check it out. It just reinforces the first-hand reporting my friends did on their trip. You can even read a Lebanese blogger's take on the rally here.

In August, we're having our own Pride Festival in Jerusalem! Plans are already being made to counter the violence we experienced last year - and to avoid what happened in Moscow.

2 Comments:

At 6/04/2006 11:31 PM, Blogger RR said...

In an Arab country? Whoddathunkit?(is the majority there Christian rather than Muslim?) Really, that's surprising- but great!

 
At 7/13/2006 8:58 AM, Anonymous jaime said...

So, are you saying Shit, why didn't I go to Beirut when I had the chance to experience the Gay Paris of the East again. It seems after today's (well yesterday's) provocation, it may not be around to enjoy for a long time to come.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home