Saturday, July 08, 2006

Reading Magic

Last week I walked to downtown Jerusalem and visited one of my favorite places in Israel - Sefer ve Sefel or "Book and Mug". Sefer ve Sefel is probably the largest used English book store in Israel. That said, Sefer ve Sefel is less than 1000 sq feet of magic.

I saw a movie a couple of weeks ago on TV called Practical Magic. The book of the same name on which this movie was based was on one of my "to read" lists. I ended up enjoying the movie and was interested to see if the book was better - it usually is. That said, the book was an enjoyable read. It's not going to change your life or anything, but it was good entertainment. However, I liked the movie better! I guess there is a first time for everything.

The book had places that were long lulls in action and it got a little boring. I was tempted to just flip forward 50 pages to get on with it. Besides good Hollywood action and romance, the movie does a better job that the book cultivating characters and developing relationships among them. It's also has more magic! I don't know if the author was consulted on the movie, but it's as if she was able to fix some things in the screen play that were problematic in the book.

I am still plodding through Myra Breckinridge and I am look forward to reading Atonement. Y is reading the Hebrew translation of Atonement and it'll be fun to chat about it.

4 Comments:

At 7/09/2006 5:51 PM, Blogger Savtadotty said...

"Atonement" was great. (I borrowed it from Miriam.) Do you think we should expand the Soup Salon to include a Book Exchange?

 
At 7/10/2006 12:02 PM, Blogger John said...

Oh yes! I think that the Book Exchange is a good idea!

 
At 7/11/2006 5:32 AM, Blogger Sweettooth120 said...

Hey, that's the bookstore with the homemade ice cream - Right? I loved that store and I think I even worked there for a very short time.

Don't know if it's still in it's same location as it was 20 years ago, but it was tucked away upstairs somewhere.

 
At 7/18/2006 10:03 AM, Blogger John said...

Hey Sweettooth - no more homemade ice cream but it is still tucked away upstairs somewhere! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home