Monday, August 21, 2006

Rehavia Turtles

On my way home from my favorite makolet (mini-market) in the world, Feel Box, I saw a small turtle crawling on the sidewalk. It wasn't trying to go into the road but it was close, so I picked it up and put in the garden of the house it was walking past. I put in back the direction it was going - because I read somewhere that's what you're supposed to do.

Here's what the turtle I found looked like:

This turtle is called the "Golden Greek" or the Middle Eastern Spur-thigh Tortoise. Their populations have declined in Israel with the rise of development. Cats are also a major predators - eating eggs and young. Yet another important reason to control the cat population in Israel.

1 Comments:

At 8/22/2006 9:11 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Yes!!!! We must all band together to protect our turltes, other wise known as "our friends". Everyone knows that turtles are our friends. One day I will get to the Galopogabus Islands to visit the huge tortoises in person.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home