Thursday, August 31, 2006

Where to Go?!

Y and I and I need to make some decisions about where to go during the hagim. (For those of you non-Jews or Israelis the hagim means holidays. It refers to Rosh Hashanah Sept 22-24, 2006, Yom Kippur Oct 1-2, 2006, and Sukkot Oct 6-13, 2006 - do we count Simchat Torah too?) Anyway, there are a lot of holidays coming up and we're ready for a break.

Y and I are considering Barcelona or Prague. If you have been to either place and have concrete recommendations, we'd love to hear them. By concrete recommendations I mean things like - Stay here it's great! Don't stay there - it sucks! Eat here. Don't waste time there. Etc.

Feel free to leave your thoughts in a comment here or email me at shalomisraelblog[at]gmail[dot]com.

5 Comments:

At 8/31/2006 7:59 AM, Blogger Adam said...

Absolutely ADORE barcelona!! Go to my flickr account and click on the Europe set and you will see the pictures when we went. If you go there be sure to visit the nearby beach town of Sitges for a day or two if you like, its absolutely awesome. We stayed in the part of the city known as El Raval very close to the Boqueria, the open-air market off Las Ramblas. All of the hotels, cafes and restaurants on Las Ramblas are overpriced but if you venture into the Barri Gotic or El Raval you will find more authentic and affordable places to eat and stay. Be wary though, El Raval and the Bari Gotic have bad patches particularly as you get closer to the sea. L'Eixample is the newer part of the city and where you will find a treasure trove of modernistic buildings, among them the famed buildings of Antonio Guadi and his famed La Sagrada Familia. Be sure to also stop at Parc Guell, what is in my opinion Gaudi's masterpeice. I was literally brought to tears when I was there, it was so beautiful.

My ultimate advice though on Barcelona is to get lost in the Bari Gotic and get lost in L'Eixample. The city is absolutely gorgeous and is full of friendly people, vibrant color, and mindblowing arhitechture. It is truly the jewel of europe.

 
At 8/31/2006 10:44 AM, Anonymous Shirat HaSirena said...

LE and I are considering the very same thing! Yesterday we discussed Prague and Spain. The day before, we discussed Italy and Turkey. If you get any crazy good obscure suggestions, let me know too!!1

 
At 8/31/2006 11:19 AM, Blogger Harry said...

Although we ended up not going, I have two recent travel guides for Prague. The Rough Guide and Top Ten Prague. You are more than welcome to borrow them. I don't think we'll be going any time soon.

 
At 8/31/2006 11:24 AM, Blogger Nominally Challenged said...

Yes!!!

Either is wonderful, and I love both. I have a special reason for pushing Prague though ... ;-)

 
At 9/02/2006 12:02 AM, Blogger Cori/Shoshana said...

prague is romantic and beautiful, has a great nightlife, and has TONS of cultural things to do. i highly recommend it. let me know if you go, i can recommend some places.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home