Thursday, September 28, 2006

My New Identity

Next month is my two year anniversary of living in Israel. It's hard to believe. Since I am not Jewish, when I moved here I didn't make aliyah - I just moved to Israel. I didn't get any "rights" - or government benefits when I moved here. When I first got here, I got a tourist visa at the airport. That lasted for three months. When the time came to renew my visa, we met many of the wonderful people at the Interior Ministry. (sarcasm) Actually, there is a group of ladies there that know my whole life story - including which side of the bed I sleep on.

To make a long, boring, frustrating story short - after two years of tourist and temporary resident visas, next week I have an appointment to get my Israeli ID card or teudat zehut. 180 days after I get my teudat zehut, I can enroll the in the national healthcare system. Until now, I've had really crappy "tourist" insurance. Thank goodness I've been healthy for the past two years - tfu, tfu, tfu.

Even though it's just a little card, this is a big step for me. More and more, my wallet is holding proof of my Israeliness. It seems a little surreal.

8 Comments:

At 9/28/2006 12:29 PM, Anonymous Shirat HaSirena said...

This post made me smile. A teudat zehut! It's exciting! Glad you're here...keepin' it real :)

 
At 9/28/2006 2:08 PM, Blogger Rinat said...

Mazal tov! :)
Matai hogegim? :P

 
At 9/28/2006 4:50 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

I know what you mean. if someone had told me ten years ago, or even five years ago I would be in the process of becoming an israeli citizen I would not have believed them. We've been paying 350 shekels a month for my health insurance - it sure does bit doesn't it?

Mazel Tov!

 
At 9/28/2006 4:56 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

bite I mean :)

 
At 9/29/2006 7:12 AM, Blogger JR said...

Cograts!

 
At 9/30/2006 12:28 PM, Blogger John said...

Thanks, everybody! :)
Katherine - yes, the situation here for non-Israeli citizens as far as health insurance thing goes does bite. I understand the state's position of ppl getting benefits little by little and I came here prepared to pay until I got state coverage. Let me just say, that I have paid INTO the system but I haven't gotten any direct benefits from it yet. However, there's not a good option for ppl to even BUY outside insurance, as I am sure you know. That really bites! I am going to write a bigger more developed post on this topic after Yom Kippur.

 
At 9/30/2006 10:51 PM, Blogger RR said...

Congrats, that's so cool! Just think, soon you'll be able to afford to get really sick! :-)

I can only imagine what you've had to go thru with the Misrad Hapnim. Oy. I'm sure it's only made you stronger!

 
At 10/03/2006 7:22 PM, Anonymous R said...

Mazel tov! May you use it in good health!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home